Background

Monday, March 26, 2012

Lucky Us! Design Team Challenge Reveal

Good Morning!

Can you believe that March is almost over?!  Somehow I'm still stuck in January!

For March's Challenge, I decided to go with a "Lucky" theme, since St. Patricks Day in right in the middle of the month!  Each of the team members interpreted lucky into a project of their choice, and today we're sharing Debbie's project.

Lucky Penny Birdhouse by Debbie

Materials:
Thicket (We R Memory Keepers CottonTail collection)
Must Have (BasicGrey Sweet Threads collection)

Scrappy Glue (Pages From the Heart)
Cosmic Copper Brilliance pigment ink
Craft paint - white and lime sorbet

Ribbon, paper flowers and birdhouse (Michael's)
Washers, Popsicle sticks and pennies 

When I first started thinking about the "lucky" theme, I remembered the little jingle "find a penny, pick it up and all day you'll have good luck".  So pennies were already in my mind.  Then I saw a floor tiled with pennies on Pinterest....and then I found my collection of unfinished birdhouses.

I painted the birdhouse white so that any imperfections in applying the paper would look intentional.  I carefully practiced the folded siding on another piece of paper since I had only one sheet of  "Must Have" from the BasicGrey Sweet Threads collection. The paper is scored and folded at 1/2", 3/4" and 1" intervals to create the overlapping siding effect.  The bottom flat layer is "Thicket' from the new We R Memory Keepers CottonTail collection available at Pages From the Heart.  A bit of my favorite brown polka-dot pleated ribbon finishes off each side.

 The pennies were easier to attach than I first thought - ScrappyGlue dried quickly and invisibly.  I found some old washers to frame the cutouts and painted another lucky symbol, the "7" street address (also available at Pages) in a soft green to pick up the color in the siding.  
I stained some Popsicle sticks using a copper ink pad and glued them into a flower box shape then filled it with paper flowers from Michael's Dollar Bin.

Thanks, Debbie!  And I think anyone would feel lucky to have this sweet birdhouse in their garden!

See everyone back here tomorrow for another "lucky" challenge!
Andi






No comments: