Background

Saturday, July 2, 2011

July Challenge!

Hello!

I'm so excited to announce our monthly challenge for you, our readers!  We so appreciate your support and want to see what you do!  So, let's get started!

Did anyone figure out my little riddle?  Or clue?  Well, a city is planned on a GRID!  And grids are super hot in the papercrafting world right now sooo we decided to challenge everyone to create a project based on a grid concept.  How far you take it, what supplies you use, if you show your grid or let your paper show your grid... it's all up to you!  And to keep you inspired and on the same "page", let me show you what some of our DT created.

Here's a layout by Michelle.

Michelle used a grid  made from paper and photos that are all the same size for her background but let her focal picture really pop-out from the grid.  Her "Top 10" list is also a great part of her grid.  Here's what she has to say about her project and some more close-ups.

I typed out a top ten list for Cindy. But mostly the reasons show her concern for me and wouldn't endear her to anyone else. Don't get a schipperke if you want a friendly, social dog that can be easily petted by visitors. People could pet Cindy if they followed a set protocol, but mostly people don't want to follow rules, so she just ignored them. But she was sweet to me.

The Sketch

I found a new sketch site that has weekly layout and card sketches, along with monthly prizes if you link your projects. This is based on Sassy Lil' Sketches, June 14th reveal. Here is the sketch I used:

 
And here's another layout and a card that I created using a grid.
 

Instead of using a lot of paper, I decided to paint my background and then map out my grid with stitches.  I then used wallet sized photo's for my pictures and embellished the other squares with little mic. doodads - transparency's, buttons, twine, spooky word squares.  I did use a large piece of paper "Double Double Toil and Trouble" and the Shakespeare poem for the title of my page.  I know you might think I'm a little crazy to work on a Halloween page in June, but I found my orange paint first so that's what I went with.

For my card I took a scallop circle punch and punched out 6 different patterned papers and then laid them in a grid pattern.  I added a punched star and a button to one scallop circle for some pop.  I also added a little tab and a number stamp on the top to add a little more interest.  This card took me literally 10 minutes to create from start to finish.

And our last gird project comes from this months Guest Designer, Becky Medrano!  You might remember Becky because she was last months Challenge winner!  Yay, Becky!  Let's take a look at her grid based layout!

And here's what Becky had to say:

I am ECSTATIC for my first ever guest designer reveal! And this particular reveal is especially meaningful because it features my favorite scrappy subject…

When I saw the Cats & Dogs line by Pebbles I knew I just HAD to have it! I am slightly obsessed with scrapping pictures of my sweet kitty and the colors are just perfect for my orange tabby, Normandy .

I created this layout featuring a grid using one of Becky Fleck’s Pagemaps from November 2010 which can be found here http://pagemaps.com/nov10maps.htm. Instead of stitching around the grid I used the backs of the borders along the bottom of the papers to create a mat. In each corner I punched a kitty face using my Epiphany Crafts small circle punch to create epoxy stickers. This is my latest favorite tool! I cut circles from the Catnip paper to layer and used Diamond Glaze and pop-ups for dimension. I also added some ribbon to one of the strips for a little added detail. The coordinating Dimensional Stickers-Cat were the finishing touch. I distressed most of the pieces with Colorbox Distressing Chalk in Chestnut Roan.

You can check out Becky's blog at www.memoriesbybee.blogspot.com.


I hope that you're feeling inspired to participate in this months challenge.  The deadline for submissions is July 10th - midnight so please send your submissions to ayokleyjessup@gmail.com.  We'd love to see what you do and if you win, you'll receive a fun goodie prize bag from Page's and bragging rights! 

Hope everyone has a safe and very Happy Fourth!
Andi

No comments: