Background

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Welcome to Michelle's Neighborhood...

Michelle's tutorial is a little different than our usual tutorial.  Instead of explaining something from her layout, Michelle is sharing a cute and fun project that she created along with her layout!  I think you'll really enjoy this project and looking at paper in a different way than usual!  Here's Michelle!

I really liked the little houses that are in Nikki Sivils' collection. But I ended up not using them in my layout because they were too small and the scale was off if I had used them as my embellishments. It was the perfect size for a card though, so I designed a card featuring the cute lil' houses.




1. I started by using part of a patterned paper that had a road and one group of trees and nothing else. I glimmered misted it in yellow to break up the large expanse of blue.

2. I fussy cut 4 houses, 2 of each design from another patterned paper that contained only houses.

3. I glued one house straight on the paper. I popped up the other one of the same house on top of the first one using foam adhesive. This gives kind of a shadow effect. On the windows I added some Glossy Accents to make it look reflective like glass. I added some Pearl Pen on the roof, doorknobs and nail heads to emphasize those aspects of the house and to make them appear 3-D.


 
4. Further down the road, I repeated the same process with the other 2 houses I cut out. I also cut out some trees to balance out the scene.



5. I connected the sentiment from one house to the other like a telephone line using a black pen. So with the addition of a sticker from the collection it reads, "Hello from our house to yours".

6. I finished off the scene by cutting out some kites and gluing it in the sky near the "Hello" sticker, so the sticker wouldn't look to be floating by itself.


If there isn't the perfect scene on a patterned paper, then just take the various components that a collection has to offer, and create your own. It will be the right size and scale to your project. It will also be much more interesting with the 3-D elements and any extra finishing touches you add to give it your own personal flair.

Isn't this card super cute?  I LOVE it!  I think it would also be great in a frame or even on a canvas for a hostess gift or new house gift...

Thanks, Michelle!

Well, that's it for the Design Team's September projects!  We'll be back next month with fantastic new projects!

Andi

No comments: